K-State Unbeaten Streak Snapped at Oklahoma State – Kansas State University Athletics

K-State Unbeaten Streak Snapped at Oklahoma State – Kansas State University Athletics

style="display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px" data-ad-client="ca-pub-1064213803427912" data-ad-slot="4222299391">

STILLWATER, Oklahoma – K-State looked to extend its unbeaten streak to a school-record four matches on Thursday night at Neil Patterson Stadium, but Oklahoma State used a pair of second half goals to down the Wildcats, 2-0.

“At this level and in this conference, the margin for errors is so, so tight,” said K-State head coach Mike Dibbini. “There’s no room for error. And we experienced that a little bit today. I think the counter-attack was better for us in the second half. We made some adjustments and had a player higher up the field, but wasn’t enough to generate a goal.”

K-State (6-7-2, 1-3-2 Big 12) goalkeeper and two-time Big 12 Goalkeeper of the Week Alaina Werremeyer made five saves on the night. This was her 10th career match with five or more saves and her seventh this season.

In the 44th minute, Oklahoma State (6-6-2, 2-2-1) nearly put the first goal on the board. A shot from outside the 18-yard box from Kim Rodriguez skipped along the grass and through the legs of Werremeyer, who was off the goal line to stop the attempt. As the ball rolled toward the open goal, K-State defender Aliyah El-Naggar raced in and slid across to kick the ball away from the net to prevent the goal.

K-State’s halftime adjustments nearly resulted in an early second half goal. Minutes into the start of the second half, freshman Adah Anderson sent a cross from the right side of the Oklahoma State net. Redshirt sophomore Caylee Thornhill received the pass and controlled the ball within five yards of the goal line, but was unable to spin and shoot.

The Cowgirls went in front, 1-0, in the 75th minute. The Wildcats defended an Oklahoma State cross, however, the ball didn’t clear out of the 18-yard box. Oklahoma State’s Ally Jackson won the footrace to the ball and nudged it into the goal from seven yards.

The goal by Oklahoma State ended K-State’s shutout streak at 285:52, which was the second-longest streak of the season behind the school record of 317:55 set between August 22 and September 2. 

Oklahoma State added an insurance goal in the 83rd minute. Olyvia Dowell attempted a shot with her left foot, striking the crossbar and finding the netting in the right side of the frame.

The two second half goals were the first allowed in the second half by K-State in Big 12 play this season and just the third and fourth in the second 45 minutes and overtime allowed this season. Prior to Thursday night, the last time K-State allowed a second half goal was September 9 at Purdue.

K-State will have one more match on this road trip and Dibbini feels his team will be ready to compete.

“I think we realize that there is parity in the conference this season and the margins are so slim. We just need to quickly put this behind us and now prepare for our next match. We’ve been there before, we’ve done it before. It’s just a matter of preparing our bodies and preparing our minds for a tough, physical match on Sunday.”

K-State wraps up its two-match trip to the state of Oklahoma with a visit to Norman to face Oklahoma on Sunday at 1 p.m. Sunday’s match will be available on Bally Sports Oklahoma.

Print Friendly Version

Post A Comment Below

Leave a Reply